Thursday, February 28, 2013

Vacant

And so begins our long Holy Saturday. Like the tabernacle during the long, silent hours that end the Triduum, the chair of Peter is empty and we wait--expectantly, but bit lost. We know, of course, that on Easter we will celebrate the Resurrection, and that one day in the future we will celebrate the election of a new Pope, but in the meantime we're in a sort of fog, rudderless and fatherless.

When Pope Benedict was elected, I was very happy. I believed that he would be good for the Church and that he would do things that needed to be done, and say things that needed to be said. I didn't know, however, how much I would love him. I didn't know that he was so lovable.

I haven't read much about Benedict's resignation, but much of what I have read has caused me pain. I've debated, and am still debating with myself whether or not I should write a response to some of what I've read, but that would be for another day. Today, I'll just leave you with my favorite picture from the last few weeks. I like to think that's me, and all of us with our father, saying goodbye.



AMDG

1 comment:

  1. That picture of him with the baby is wonderful. I hadn't seen it before. I miss him already.

    ReplyDelete